Internships and Relevant News
Students with a B+ average among courses in the Division of Natural Sciences and Engineering may apply for an honors major in engineering. This B+ average must be maintained through the end of the junior year to remain in the Honors Program. A listing of preparations supported by existing engineering courses is appended. Credits from approved attachments or special topics courses may substitute for not more than 1 credit within any preparation.
Honors majors must complete the same requirements as course majors in engineering. In addition:
- The honors major in engineering is a four-examination program that includes three preparations in engineering (the major) and one minor preparation. Each area comprises 2 credits of work. The preparations may include ENGR 090 and/or one other core course.
- The minor preparation must comprise at least 2 credits of work approved by any department or program outside engineering.
- Each major candidate must accumulate 12 credits in engineering, including ENGR 090, and the same number of science and math credits as required of course majors.
- If one of the major preparations includes ENGR 090, it must be paired with an appropriately related upper-level engineering elective or a 1-credit honors thesis to be completed in the fall semester of senior year. Honors thesis credit may not substitute for any of the 12 engineering credits required for the bachelor of science. Candidates who choose an honors thesis will complete at least 13 credits in engineering and 33 from across the College. The two additional major preparations must each comprise two related, upper-level engineering electives. A précis of not more than 12 pages (including tables and figures) of each candidate's ENGR 090 project must be submitted by the end of the 10th week of the spring semester for mailing to the relevant honors examiner. The final ENGR 090 report will not be mailed to any examiner but may be brought to the oral examinations.
- Senior honors study by engineering majors is not required.
- Senior honors study is required for all engineering honors minors, except those who are also engineering course majors. For those not majoring in engineering, the senior honors study is the culminating experience. Course majors will not take senior honors study because ENGR 090 serves as the culminating experience.
- Every engineering honors minor preparation must include two related upper-level engineering electives for which all prerequisites must be satisfied. If the student is not also an engineering course major, then senior honors study is also required. Credits from official attachments or special topics courses in engineering may substitute for not more than one of the two upper-level courses within an engineering minor preparation.
- Prerequisites to upper-level engineering electives may be waived by the department, depending on the student's documentation of equivalent work in another department at the time of application.
- Formats of examination will follow those appropriate for the engineering major.
Prospective engineering majors and minors receive more specific information about course and honors programs from the department each December. Additional information is also available on the Engineering Department Web site.